As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases at NO extra cost to you.
Physical, emotional and mental conditions across the United States are prevalent. Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) are at peak levels. People of every age have ADHD. Neurobehavioral disorders happen during childhood. Many scientists believe that parents hand it down. Resources for Adult ADHD treatments without drugs are available.
How do You Know if You Have ADHD?
The only way to tell if you have ADHD is to have a psychological evaluation by a licensed Psychologist. The Psychologist administers a comprehensive assessment. They use a DSM-5 book. The DSM stands for Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. It is a reference guide for psychologists. This book is an essential part of their treatment process. It helps them diagnose their patients. It is also used by psychiatrists and therapists. The DSM-5 (fifth edition), consists of three major sections:
- The diagnostic classification
- The diagnostic criteria
- The descriptive text.
The DSM-5 is the official listing of all mental health disorders. Are you wondering if Adult ADHD treatment without drugs is possible? Let’s see what we can glean. Let’s dive in.
What is Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD)
The DSM-5 describes Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder as a treatable, neurodevelopmental (brain) condition. It can last for many years, or it can be a lifelong battle. This disorder affects the growth and development of the brain. ADHD can impact an individual’s language, emotion, behavior, and memory.
Examples of Other Neurological disorders:
- Cerebral Palsy
- Conduct Disorders
The Three Categories of ADHD:
There are three types of ADHD. Each type is contingent upon the person’s strongest symptom.
Predominantly Inattentive :
- Hard to organize or finish a task
- Cannot pay attention to details
- Cannot follow instructions
- Easily distracted by stimuli and lose things
- Fidgets and talks a lot
- Hard to sit still for long (for a meal or in church)
- Restless and has trouble with impulsivity
- May be more prone to accidents and injuries
Predominantly Hyperactivity Impulsive:
- Moving constantly
- Excessive talking
- Constantly on the go
- Symptoms of number 1 and 2
- May change over time
- Brain injury
- Environmental risks (exposure to lead) during pregnancy
- Alcohol or tobacco use during pregnancy
- Premature delivery
Nine Core Symptoms of ADHD Inattention
- Careless mistakes. Fails to pay close attention to details during tasks
- Difficulties sustaining attention (when reading)
- Does not seem to listen when spoken to (nodding, not listening)
- Difficulty organizing belongings or tasks (poor time management)
- Often avoids or dislikes concentration tasks (never finishes task)
- Misplaces things (eyeglasses, keys)
- Easily distracted (daydreaming) (distracted by sound)
- Forgetful in daily activities
- Does not follow through (has difficulty finishing undesirable tasks)
This is How to Check if You Have ADHD.
If you have 5 or more of these symptoms, you may have signs of ADHD.
0 – Never or rarely
1 – Sometimes
2 – Often
3 – Very Often
Dangers of the DSM-5:
- Doing self-diagnosis is dangerous
- Just looking in the DSM-5 is not enough
- There is a risk in diagnosing from the DSM-5
Five Symptoms Does Not Mean Mental Illness
Note: You can rule out anxiety, depression or sleep deprivation. ADHD is in a league of its own.
Treatment for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
There are several treatment methods for adults with ADHD. Explore and see what works best for you.
- Cerebellar Stimulation
- The Zing Performance
- Stimulants (Adderall, Ritalin)
- Non-stimulants (Wellbutrin, Clonidine)
- Sleep Routine
- Environmental changes
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) – If you think happy thoughts, you will feel happy, and in turn, you will behave civil. Thoughts, feelings and behavior will align.
The cerebellum is the part of the brain in back of the skull. It handles balance and posture. It lies between the cerebrum (vertebrates) and the brain stem. The cerebellum contains 70% of the neurons (nerve cells) in your brain. It has a unique connection to the frontal lobe (in the forehead).
Physical exercises help stimulate the cerebellum. All it takes is 10 minutes twice a day for 3-6 months. It is an effective tool for people suffering from ADHD. You will begin to see remarkable improvements of the ADHD symptoms. Physical exercise is as good for our brains as it is for or body.
The Zing Performance:
Here is a Snipet of the Zing Method
- Stand on your left leg, a meter away from a wall.
- Keeping your head still, on the beep, alternate between:
- Focusing your eyes on the top of the wall
- Focus your eyes on the bottom of the wall.
- Continue this until the timer ends.
- Repeat the same instructions with your right leg, etc.
What was Your Experience With the Zing the Exercise?
- Very difficult
- Causes pain
The Zing Exercises are fun. They will help with eye/hand coordination, balance and posture. Done in 4 sets.
You Must Make Changes to Combat ADHD.
Here are a few ways to do that. Being healthy and fit is all about balance. Are you getting enough quality sleep? Eight hours is a good amount. Are you drinking enough water? Eight to twelve glasses are enough. Do you exercise regularly? 30 minutes a day, five days a week is a nice start. Try to avoid stress. These are important changes that helps combat the onset of ADHD.
Often times adults with ADHD have altered sleeping patterns. Their sleep routine isn’t consistent. New sleep patterns should carry over to weekends. Quality, deep, rapid eye movement sleep (REM) is quintessential for stability and balance.
A harmonious environment is key when you have attention deficit disorder or hyperactivity. People in ADD groups have experienced excessive chaos in their lifetimes. As a result, they have internal restlessness.
Movement can help the body release the hormones (norepinephrine and adrenaline). It gives the body a release of energy. Exercise can be rewarding on many levels. It is good for the heart and mind. It also gives your spirit a boost.
How Many People in the United States have ADHD?
Would you like to try the Zing Performance? It is quite expensive. They may offer Care Credit or payment plans.
The treatments for ADHD are comprehensive, safe and varied. If you prefer medication, you have a choice of stimulants or non-stimulants. Having your own coach is optional. You will also learn how to change your sleep routine. At the end of the day, you will learn how to create your new environment. The ball is in your court.
If you liked this post, feel free to share it with friends. Please direct your comments and questions to the comment section below. I will do my level best to respond as soon as possible. I look forward to corresponding with you soon.
To your Success,